Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Arrivederci America, Buongiorno Italia

Time flies and before you know it something long awaited has arrived and you're not sure if you're truly ready. That's where I find myself this morning; waiting in the Rochester airport for a flight that'll take me to Philly and then onto Rome. Roma, Roma, Roma... how long I've been waiting for this trip, how hard I've worked for it, and now it's here but my excitement has turned into nerves and fear. But the excitement still lingers and much of the reality of this trip has yet to hit me.

While I have done a lot of traveling this will be my first time leaving the States, this is also the longest I've ever spent away from home, and will have limited contact with family and friends from home. I know this sounds very silly for someone in their twenties but considering how close my family is it's always hard when I'm away and missing out on what is happening with the renovations of the house and the transitional period that my whole family is going through right now. None-the-less, this trip will be my transitional period, my time of growth, and new experiences.

My goals for this trip are as follows:
1. Immerse myself in the Italian culture; speak as much Italian as possible, learn as much as possible, and try things that are unfamiliar.
2. Take it all in; enjoy and try to see the lessons in every building we look at and every trip we take.
3. Travel as much as possible
4. And lastly, get an A in studio. This one may sound funny but I plan to use this trip to try to revitalize and remember why I love architecture and reconnect that love with my work.

I feel so blessed to have this opportunity and plan to make the most of it. I am fortunate enough to be going with a great group of peers including my two best friends. This blog will help share our adventures with those at home and will also document my work during the next four months.

Enjoy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment